Tuesday 17 November 2009

Is that it?

The NME has just released its top 50 albums of the decade, as voted for by a bunch of pillocks.

The top 10 is:

1. The Strokes, 'Is this it?'
2. The Libertines, 'Up the bracket'
3. Primal Scream, 'Xtrmntr'
4. Arctic Monkeys, 'Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not'
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, 'Fever to tell'
6. PJ Harvey, 'Stories from the city, stories from the sea'
7. Arcade Fire, 'Funeral'
8. Interpol, 'Turn on the bright lights'
9. The Streets, 'Original pirate material'
10. Radiohead, 'In rainbows'

Um, excuse me NME people? You do realise that Busted released 'Busted' this decade...?

I am joking of course (Busted's debut was nothing compared to McFly's), but that's one particularly depressing top 10. I own a copy of the Strokes album and it's very good, but there must be something that's surpassed it since it was released in 2001, surely?

I deserted boring indie music in favour of exciting pop somewhere around 2002/03 and it sounds like I got out at exactly the right time. If I were to compile my own top 10 pop albums of the decade (which I'd be working on right now if I didn't have a job to do) it would be A LOT more interesting, and would feature Girls Aloud quite prominently. Watch this space...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's what happens when you let only one part of society (children) vote.

NME has had a diminished readership for so long now that it really is just tweenagers reading it now. Shame.

PS the bestest album ever is obvs a Morrissey/Smiths one!!!

Pignut said...

I'll ignore your Morrissey comment for fear of getting a wallop next time I see you...

Apparently they got actual grown-up record label bosses etc to vote. They obviously just picked the mad ones though, and presumably if the readership is just kids these days then they're tailoring it to them.

Harumph.