Wednesday 21 October 2009

Will you stop, or will you just keep going?

Songwriter: "Hi there, I've got a pretty rubbish generic dance song here - it's called 'About a girl' and I thought it could go to Cascada or something. Actually it's not that good, maybe I'll just chuck it in the bin."

Record company 'exec': "No, hang on - that can go to the Sugababes, they're looking for a new single."

S: "Oh no, it's not nearly good enough for them. I mean, I don't know much about the Sugababes but, in their original incarnation, didn't they co-write and sing 'Overload', one of the most sophisticated pop songs of its era? I mean, weren't they talented singers and songwriters who wanted to show the world what they could do without resorting to half-baked Lady Gaga knock-offs?"

RCE: "Well yes, I suppose."

S: "And, where other girlgroups generally fail, weren't their ballads actually quite good as well? I mean, it was the Sugababes who did 'Stronger', wasn't it? That was incredible."

RCE: "Yes true, but they've gone off the boil a bit recently."

S: "So we're not talking about the same Sugababes who recorded 'About you now' in 2007 then? And 'Get sexy' was pretty interesting for a pop song, wasn't it?"

RCE: "Sigh... no one's interested in the music any more - they're just talking about which Sugababe will be the next to leave the group. Do you want the money for this pile of crap or not?"

S: "Of course I do. I was just saying."

8 comments:

WillowC said...

So... you don't like it then?

Pignut said...

I don't know what gave you that impression.

WillowC said...

In your defence, it's rubbish.

Pignut said...

And they could do so much better - that's the annoying thing. It's like having an amazing, intelligent and talented friend and finding out they're going out with Keith Chegwin.

Pignut said...

Although actually maybe they couldn't - I keep forgetting these are three different people from the original, talented Sugababes. They're just relying on the brand name to convince me they could do better. I feel duped.

WillowC said...

It would be brilliant if the three original members got together and formed a new band.

SavouryPeeps, they could call it.

Pignut said...

They should call it Sugababes, and the three new girls should change their name to Trigger's Broom.

Becca said...

Funny you should mention this:

Reform??