Thursday 22 October 2009

Mental

Last week, Neighbours introduced an OCD storyline by having Zeke (above), completely out of the blue, carefully line up all the biros on his desk. There was no suggestion of any impending mental illness before this, and we were told that something was horribly wrong with the use of a sinister "Zeke is going all OCD" backing track, which has been used a few times since then. Yesterday, he went completely bonkers and suddenly everyone is worried for him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't storylines like this be a bit more sensitively handled?

Unfortunately, I suffer from a mental illness myself. It's quite rare, but it's called Neighbours Storyline Delusion Disorder and it prevents me from complaining about Neighbours in any meaningful way. It's impossible - I start saying "good heavens, that was an implausible storyline" but choke mid-sentence and end up making some kind of garbled reference to irony or something.

So if someone else could watch it this week and complain loudly on my behalf, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

No comments: