Thursday 26 August 2010

I am woman, hear me express my opinion in a measured and reasonable way


There's been a lot of nonsense talked about feminism.

Women seem to reject the term just as easily as men do, thinking it means "man-hater" or "shouty unshaved lesbian with a megaphone", or simply "opinionated". Not very feminine - what self-respecting woman would want to get a reputation for being opinionated? Not me.

A commonly-held belief in the UK is that the feminism of the 60s and 70s has done its job, we have as much equality as we need, and there's nothing more to do. Personally, I don't think so - women are still judged on appearances far more than men are, sexism is still part of our language and the assumptions we make about people, and conviction rates for sexual assault and rape are depressingly low at around 6% - but regardless, the UK is in a far better position than many countries.

Worldwide, women are still bound by a restrictive idea of what makes them feminine, and prevented from speaking their minds, talking about their sexuality, and making their own choices. Abortion is still illegal in most cases across South America and Africa - in Chile, a woman is unable to have a legal abortion even if she's pregnant as a result of rape, or if her life is at risk. Rape is still used as a weapon of war. Across the world, the lesson is repeated and reinforced: women's bodies are not their own.

FHM (Australia) Woman of the Year 2007

The basic definition of a feminist is a person who believes in equal rights for women and men, that's all. That's EQUAL rights, not more or better rights than men - just simple equality, the same opportunities and the same level of respect. You're probably a feminist yourself.

There's no rulebook that defines who's a feminist and who isn't. I'm very proud to call myself a feminist, although (heaven forbid) I don't conform to the stereotype. Most feminists don't - I guess that's what happens with every stereotype there is. I'm also an English person, but I don't own a single bowler hat.

I don't hate men, and I don't think gender equality is to be found in judging men in the same physical terms that men judge women. I don't think men "should" wax their chests because women feel they must shave their legs - two wrongs don't make a right. I have no problem with "the c-word" (although many feminists do, and I respect that), but I do clench my fists with rage when John McCririck strides into the Big Brother house and assigns the name "Bristols" to a woman he's only just met. And I despair a little when that woman doesn't challenge him on it.


Chest waxing: not necessarily a good thing

You don't have to subscribe to any of the views I've expressed in order to be a feminist - we're all different. You don't have to put 'Sisters are Doing it for Themselves' on repeat and dance around the kitchen. Sorry - living room.

Office.

You don't have to abandon the kitchen either - baking a cake as a treat for your boyfriend doesn't make you anti-feminist, if that's what you feel like doing. You don't have to stop shaving your armpits, or start wearing dungarees. You just have to find the strength to acknowledge that treating someone as inferior because of the genitals they were born with is wrong, ditch the idea that you're "not a feminist", and get a bit angry.

Today is Women's Equality Day. Please have a bit of a shout.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written! Thank you for so eloquently expressing that which so many are thinking, and feeling but are afraid too. Also thank you for shining a spotlight on the injustices which are still plaguing women world wide.

Astrid Paramita said...

Hi, I found your blog link through plurk. I really like this article! I guess I'm a feminist too in that sense. I always tried to prove people wrong when they said I couldn't do a certain thing just because of my gender. Or have to be good in certain things just because of my gender.